Thursday, August 27, 2009

Eavesdropping Assignment

Favorite (un-used) Quotes:
· “And every day my step-dad pours the cereal and he puts it in Pete’s bowl. And Pete just gets soooo happy and I just don’t know. I just feel so lost in the morning and Pete is just so happy!”
· “We went hiking and then we went to dinner, and then we spent the week together. And then he goes back home and – hm? Oh, yes. They’re still together.”

Characters:
Kamar: A large man with dreadlocks.
Maisy: A girl with dreadlocks snuggled up to Kamar.
Ellen: A woman in a suit who arrives late to meet Kamar and Maisy for coffee with a folder of papers.

Ellen: Kamar, how’s your neck?
Kamar: Better.
Maisy: Except for this morning.
Kamar: Well, yeah. Except for this morning. The doctor’s being overcautious and saying it’ll never get better.
Ellen: Never?
Maisy: Well, the sensitivity. He can’t feel temperatures on the right side of his body.
Kamar: (Chuckling) If I hold a cold beer in my left hand it feels hot in the right.
Ellen: So you can feel – it’s just opposite?
Kamar: (shrugs) I just have to drink left handed!
Ellen: So you wanted to talk about the surgery?
Maisy: It’s so expensive. All we have between us is a car worth $500. That’s all we have. But the doctor’s really helpful. He said the surgery is do-able. Sometimes I just don’t know what’s happening. There was a surgeon who wanted to help for cheaper but they fired him.
Ellen: So that’s what you want to talk about?
Kamar: Actually. (Pausing) Actually, we wanted to go to Australia. Could we talk about a time share?
Ellen: You want to borrow money from me for a time share?
Maisy: Well, we just thought if there isn’t anything we can do, we’d just spend our time there.
Kamar: My remaining time.
Maisy: You have as much time as anyone else, Kamar!
Kamar: Well, my remaining left-handed time.
Maisy: (Rolling eyes) It’s still the same amount of time.
Ellen: (Incredulous) So you’re asking for money for a time share? Instead of a surgery? A surgery that would give you feeling in half of your body?
Kamar: The surgery would be a LOT more expensive than a time share.
Maisy: And we thought that way, you could enjoy the time share too!
Kamar: Yeah you could just put in a little more…
Ellen: You have to pay me back. You know that, right?
Kamar: Well I mean we could just split the time share. Maybe they’d even have some cheap surgeons in Australia.
Ellen: Which would mean I am paying for a time share for you two, for myself, and for a surgery for you?
Maisy: Babe, we don’t want any cheap surgeons operating on your neck. Remember, that other one got fired?
Ellen: Not to mention the fact that I am paying for a time share for you two, for myself, and a surgery for you. This is insane! I came in here prepared to give you enough for a necessary surgery. Now I don’t think I’ll give either of you a cent.
Maisy: Ell, you have to! I can’t have the future father of my children having no sensitivity! How will he know if little Laleeka has a fever?
Ellen: (Gathering her things) He’ll have to use his left hand, apparently.
Maisy: You’d trust your nieces and nephews to a man with no sensitivity?
Ellen: (snorts)
Kamar: (looking uneasy) Mais, how do we know if we’re even having kids? I mean, we’re overpopulated here enough as it is. Not to mention the fact that any kids that may or may not be in our future probably won’t even have AIR to breathe.
Ellen: There, Maisy, see, that’s a man with no sensitivity.

No comments:

Post a Comment