I didn't really think Act Without Words was very interesting until the very end. Things kept appearing for him to interact with, and yes, it was obvious he was being manipulated and played with by some higher power, but I didn't really understand why.
I still don't know why, but it was at the end that I finally figured out the "point" of the play, if there was one. When the big cube was pulled from underneath him, and he's laying on his side, he's fighting whatever is attempting to control him by doing nothing, but it seems like he's just giving up. It's hard to say whether he's completely despondent or if he's rebelling because the actions would be the same either way. When I was looking up Samuel Beckett, it made me wonder if he sees himself as the protagonist who's continually being teased and tempted with things he can't have. I also wonder who he sees as the higher power that's playing with him.
I think the most important thing that he was being teased with was the water, which if he were really in a dire situation would help, though by the way it was described, as "a tiny carafe, to which is attached a huge label inscribed WATER," didn't seem as if it'd even be enough to quench his thirst, which is another example of the futility of his struggles.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That's terrific insight Chelsea. I wonder about that too, whether he's giving up out of desperation or to rebel.
ReplyDelete